Read how we realised the dream of having a Man Cave for our London based client
This family had a beautiful property in an area that they loved, plus their children were in local schools that they didn’t want to take them out of. After extending the kitchen at the rear of the property and opening up the house, they still felt like they needed more space. They wanted somewhere which could be used as a gym, (freeing up another room in the house), a cinema room for the family as well as providing somewhere to store garden equipment. One small issue being the house is semi-detached and there was no other way of accessing the garden apart from through the house.
Martin Baker conducted a site survey, during which the entire project was discussed along with measuring for the access through the house. After running through a number of ideas the end result did not have any compromise due to the access and we installed the largest unregulated building allowed despite the restricted access. Our steel and timber frame base is the perfect solution for restricted access as this avoids needing to bring wet building materials through the house.
The building was designed as 3 sections; the main room, garden store to the front right, with dry storage to the back right accessed through the main room. Finished in our standard external colour of RAL 7016 (Anthracite) with matching UPVC doors and windows. With no timber outside this building has almost zero maintenance, comes with a 10 year full guarantee and a 50 year life expectancy.
As this was to be used as a gym we also installed climate control so the temperature is perfect inside whatever the weather outside.
A fantastic project that we are really proud of but don’t just take our word for it see what the client thought below….
"After three years of research and trying to work out whether to move or extend the home we are currently in, we decided to have the outbuilding option. We researched many companies, read many reviews and viewed hundreds of pictures. We decided to use Bakers as it had a variety of options. I contacted them and they promptly sent me a brochure. I contacted Martin who kindly went through all the options and emailed me a very detailed quote. We were very apprehensive with regards to access and how the builders would come through the house, as I did not have side access to the garden. This apprehension was immediately alleviated when the builders started; they covered the whole hallway with protective covers. The builders were very professional and immaculate in the execution of building the outbuilding. The building is a dream; my gym, home cinema and bicycles all in one place, beautifully organised and make workouts and family time a joy. I would like to thank the whole team at Bakers and would recommend anyone thinking of an outbuilding to use this company."
• Contemporary Pent Garden Room Kite with door and 10 year pack options*
• Overall Room size 8090m x3800m (30sqm int) with store (split 6.5m room +1.5m store) aim to keep under 2.5m planning rule with base (2.0m height restriction on room)
• Access for Room & Store through house
• Provide Steel & Timber framed base
• Fully lined & insulated room including insulated floor
• 1.5x 3.75 store section with insulated rear cupboard to room with flush and hardwood door
• Timber Laminated Flooring - satin oak
• MDF Painted Internals upgrade, V200 Colour 'Timeless'
• Sadolin Superdec painted externals (as our terms and conditions) RAL 7016
• Security Pack including 5 lever mortice lock, bonded glass and locking stays
• Electrical Installation to include our Communications Package
• Zero maintenance cement wall to rear and sides
• *Upgrade to (MTX) external cladding, V100 to front
• *Firestone EPDM roof & rear height package
• *Upgrade to UPVC french door in RAL 7016 Anthracite
• *Upgrade to UPVC windows 4 front 2 FLO side
• *Medite Tricoya Extreme (MTX) trim pack
• Upgrade to LowE, planitherm, argon warm edge, bioclean Natura glass
• 2.6kw Climate control unit
• Removal of existing shed, break concrete base, lift slabs and prepare site for base
• Re-lay existing slabs on new MOT base to front of building at door opening position
• Tree removal (prior to starting the work)